Sunday, February 12, 2012

Elder Almquist Letter #28

What a crazy week.  Definitely the most up and down of my
Mission.  The week started out amazing and then it just dumped on us.
I am so glad for preparation days because I am able to rest.  You do need to charge your battery on a mission.  This is especially true after hard weeks.

So let’s tell you about the bad.  It dumped a foot of snow.  That means we can't use bikes, and we have to walk everywhere.  Second, Mitchell and I are super sick.  Thirdly, our car breaks down.  The transmission is gone, so no car for two weeks.  Not only do we have the largest area in the stake, but we can't really use bikes because it’s difficult to ride in the snow.  But, no complaints.  We are blessed despite the challenges.

The work still continued this week despite the gates of hell opening against
us.  We found a new family to teach and they seem to be legit and then
Leo seems to be turning around.  The greatest thing was Ceaser Castro’s
baptism.  I will send some pictures soon.  The work is just amazing.  Ceaser was so nervous and Elder Mitchell had to dunk him twice because he didn't put his head all the way under the water, but the second time he kicked it in gear and went full gage and shoved him under.  It was awesome.  I did the confirmation, and I was so nervous.  I had never done a confirmation in Spanish, and it was awesome how much the lord blessed me.  I just waited, and the spirit filled the room.  The craziest thing was that when I gave the blessing the words came in a bar with red lights telling me what to say in my head and this time they came in Spanish and so I just read them.  Wow the Spirit was so strong.  He had an incredible service.  I love this work.  Transfers are next week.  I am nervous.  I love Elder Mitchell and his work ethic.  I always felt like we pulled together, got the work done, and laughed along the way.

(Forward one week)

Yes, transfers came, and I will be training a brand new missionary.  It is crazy.  I will be a dad.   I can't believe I am training a brand new Elder to our fantastic Mission; this is going to be a challenge with a lot of fun.  I pray the Spirit can be with me so that I can be on the top of my game all the time. 

Elder Mitchell and I are so sad to leave.  I can't believe it; we were so sure that we were going to stay together.  We worked so well.  He was my first companion in like seven months I didn't have to worry about or kind of hover over to do the work.  I am really sad to see him leave.  But I know the Lord is with me and like Gideon, I hope I can be a mighty man of valor. 

Wow I just can't imagine how much happened this week.  There is just too much to say.  Dad I love your thoughts on the testimony of the three and eight witnesses.  That is something that we use all the time and when people read those testimonies they think for a second “wow these plates this Joseph Smith translated might have something to do with the way I am feeling.  They are true.”  

We have ben teaching a JW.  We were teaching her and we shared the first vision, and she just was like “wow.”  She accepted to be baptized--it is awesome.  I pray that she can continue to build her testimony and be baptized.  The area is just exploding.  The branch presidency came to us and totally apologized to us about how they had been slacking, and it was super humbling for us because I know how hard it is to be bishop because Dad was.

But all the members are kicking in and talking about the Gospel to their friends.  The work is really progressing.  It helps so much when the members participate in missionary work.

I love you all.  Thanks for your prayers.  Share the Gospel and bless the missionaries with your referrals.  

No comments:

Post a Comment