Sunday, January 1, 2012
Elder Almquist Letter #26
As I suspected, I was transferred to Moses Lake to serve as District Leader. My new companion is Elder Mitchell from – guess where??? “St. George.” How cool is that? We are the only Spanish speaking set of missionaries in Moses Lake. The other three companionships are English speaking. Leaving Wenatchee was hard. I spoke in church before I left. It felt like I was giving a farewell in my home ward. The members and investigators there are so amazing. Brother Ottosen drove me to Moses Lake. His whole family is the best. I will always love these people who have been so good to me. I look forward to serving in Spanish only areas. I love these people. I can’t wait to return to Mexico where my family goes and talk to the families we know there. My language will really improve. Elder Mitchell has been out 7 months and speaks really well. He had 3 years of Spanish in high school. Now it is being fine tuned. I am so excited to serve with him. I will miss Greg. We have been teaching him a long time. The other day he committed to live the Word of Wisdom and is now reading the Doctrine and Covenants. Then my last week we had a man named Tony come to us and ask, “Who is Joseph Smith?” Well, we answered that question and committed Tony to live the Gospel. He has accepted the baptismal challenge. But like so often, I will be leaving before these investigators get baptized. But, that’s fine!!! It’s not about me. We started a program of giving members a church tour as if they were investigators. Well, we were waiting on some members and a man named Scott was walking his dog by the Church. We asked if he would like to come in for a tour. Just then the members showed up and we gave a tour to everyone – including the dog. We felt the Spirit so much. I know Scott was impressed. The dog also looked happier. I have been so blessed in Wenatchee and Cashmere. When we decided to go forth with Faith, everything changed. We had so much success. We met our goals and turned the area around. We taught of Christ, learned to have faith, lived worthily and saw the blessings come. Most of all, we learned to love as best we could just as the Savior loved everyone. He is the perfect example. Blog for December 31, 2011 Wow, the last days of 2011. What a year. It was so great to see my family yesterday. Skype is awesome. Technology is so incredible. Everyone looked great. I saw little Madelynn and all my family. It was wonderful. But right back to work. I love Moses Lake. We found a family, the Vazquez family. They are super investigators. Then we played soccer with the Branch. They have all been in soccer since they were born. We were such dorks. But guess what? I scored three goals and Elder Mitchell scored one. Not bad for two gringos. Still, they all made fun of us. Our Branch Mission Leader is great. He served a mission in Mexico. He learned to be obedient and always tells us of the power we have when we are obedient. I totally agree. I gave six baptismal interviews this week. The area is growing. I so, so love the latino people. They are working hard and trying to be obedient to Gospel principles. Sorry my time is short because of soccer this morning. Thanks friends and family for all of your support. Happy 2012 to everyone. Hoorah for Israel.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment