Sunday, December 4, 2011

Elder Almquist Letter #25


Things just keep getting better.  Though mission life is not without its struggles and challenges, I still find improvement everyday and meet people who are excited about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  My experiences are all over the place. Last week I taught seminary and told the students that the Book of Mormon was true or it wasn’t.  There is no middle ground.  They need to pray and get a testimony that it is true.  Then never look back.  I have one lady who said she doesn’t believe the Book of Mormon is true but she won’t read it.  How do you know if you don’t read and pray for the truth. ??  Makes me crazy.

I love the Hispanic people I meet.  They are so humble.  They understand the importance of family and the Savior.  They want to do the right thing.  They make great sacrifices for their families.  They are nice to us and listen.  It is hard to get them to commit to the Gospel, but when they do, they are fun and happy Church members. 

Thanksgiving was great.  I am getting so fat.  We ate with the Larsons and the Dices.  They are great cooks.  After thanking them for such a great meals, we left to meet with many of our Spanish investigators.  They all fed us yummy tamales.  We were so stuffed.  It is easier for Elder Contreras because he is allergic to so many things. But I’m not and it shows. 

I can say I love tracting.  I know that sounds unappealing to some, but I keep finding people even though I have been at their door two times before.  It is not difficult in a town as small as Cashmere to tract every door, but people are touched at different times so it pays to keep in contact with them.  It has had the effect of wearing out my shoes.  So I got some boots to not only prevent me from walking on the bare ground, but to also keep my feet warm.  It can be so cold up here. But, I’m not complaining.  I love my area, my responsibilities, my companion, my district, my ward and my entire Mission.  They are all great blessings to me.  Most of all I love the support I get from my family, prayer, and a loving Heavenly Father.

 I love to hear about my friends teaching around the world.  It is like we are still on a big team and pulling for the same thing just scattered across the country and oceans.  It sounds like they are having the same successes and challenges I have.  We will all have a lot to talk about when we return.  But for now it is fun to hear about them.  I wish them the best in everything.  I’ll write again soon.






1 comment:

  1. Almost one year already?! Hope your Christmas phone call is wonderful - give Elder Almquist our best wishes! He is doing great.

    ReplyDelete