Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Elder Almquist Letter #4

Hey the first month is over, ugh!! I can't believe that my first month is already over. It is so sad. I only have 23 more left--it is so sad. I love it out here. I never want to leave. This is so amazing. I love every second of this work. This really is the work of God. I love my life out here. Elder Manu y I have been doing really well, we have almost committed our fake investigators to baptism!!! We are so close. We are so blessed to have this one investigator. Her name is Genesis. She is 18 and training to become a Baptist minister. She has read the Bible 5 or 6 times. I can't understand her Spanish, but she is so amazing. She is making me be so patient and learning to love people even when they hate me!!! She has made me challenge my testimony. I think in the church today everyone is scared to challenge their testimony and never really try and find those deep answers. But that is exactly what people need. They have to challenge their testimony by learning truth. They have to take one step, and the Holy Ghost will lead you!!!! When one strengthens and challenges their testimony, it only grows and becomes stronger. I was reflecting in my mind some things that President Uchdorf said, “we can't inhale praise or good fortune.” This is so right -- this week I was inhaling my good fortune, and our good lessons, but now after being humbled by my teachers and when Genesis totally owned us in a lesson about Adam and Eve, I know that was necessary; humility is so key in life. I feel so blessed to have amazing examples in my life about humility. Yesterday Elder Clement left, he is so amazing. I will miss him dearly. We had some great times here.
You know this is the work of God and that really every member is a missionary. I just finished the gospels and what really hit me was when the Savior couldn't perform miracles because of the lack of the faith the people had. It is not like He couldn't just heal when He wanted to. He could do what ever he wanted, but he waited for the peoples’ faith to grow. The same is for us. We must have the faith that miracles will happen. I have learned this week to stop trying to do everything myself and just go with to flow -- Be a good missionary and let God do the work. I know he can do anything. I just have to sit there y be what he wants me to be. Also I was thinking about what a missionary said in my district this week. He said that he is not going to talk in a lesson unless the Spirit tells him to do so. I thought for a couple days on that, and I came to the conclusion that the Spirit isn't going to tell you what to do. The Spirit will support the truth as you teach it. Open up your mouth, talk and the Spirit will witness for you. Don't wait, press forward with a steadfastness in the Lord and then miracles can happen. The MTC is amazing. I love it here, Elder Reid just gave me a hug, ugh I don't like being touched, haha, haha!! He is a great elder, looks almost exactly like Sam of Lord of the Rings!!!! My teachers are amazing. They know exactly what I need every time I enter into class. They are just glowing. We got a new district this week. They are all amazing elders. One has been a convert for little over a year. His parents don't support him and hate him for serving and joining the Church. I can't imagine having that-- I feel so bad for him. It just makes me want to be his friend all the more. I know that the Savior knows he is so incredible. The Savior knows everything that people go through. I know that if we just throw out our doubts, sins, and disbeliefs that He will take care of them so we can go on. Trust in the Savior and let him take care of it.

I love you all
Love Elder Skyler Almquist
Dios Es Grande

No comments:

Post a Comment