Sunday, April 15, 2012

Elder Sklyer Almquist Letter #33


Wow this was a great week!  This week was awesome.   Things are great.  Elder Aguilar is doing well.  He is so humble.  We are so different it is hilarious, but I know that we are learning so much from another.  He is such a humble man that he learns so quickly.  It is funny because my personality is that when someone says I can't do something it just ticks me off and so I go and prove it wrong.  The word “Can't” doesn’t exist in my vocab.  Dad you always inspired me to push and just keep going.  I loved the story about the walls you built and the “get it done” attitude.  I love how at work with you we would overcome any obstacle. We would talk to the rock or the stump or whatever was in our way and say, “Don’t even fight me, you are mine and will surrender.”  I have used that on my mission.  For example, I was fixing Elder Aguilar’s bike and talking to the bike saying “you will submit.”  Elder Aguilar was like “what in the world are you doing.”  It was super funny.  I am so proud to be an Almquist.  Elder Aguilar is always so unsure if he can do something.  I remember his first door was like, “I want to watch you just to see if you will follow through and not just do what your companion does.”   So the other day I passed up someone on the bike just to see if he would stop and talk to him.  Well he did!!!   He is a great comp -- just amazing.  He is just such a good guy.  The work is going well.  We didn't teach as much this week but it was a solid week.  A lot of investigators didn't show up to church because of family things.  Honestly who doesn't go to Church on Easter Sunday.  Honestly!  But hey, it was great.  Elder Aguilar and I both gave talks and it was awesome.  He was so nervous because his Spanish is still developing.  But he did a great job.  I was super sick Saturday and Sunday so in the middle of my talk I almost fainted, but the classy Halverson side took over so I didn't -- but it was super close.  It was a great Sunday.  

Get this, we have a new man that is on date for baptism.  His name is Tony Rubio.  He is the son of one of the members.  He is 40 years old or so and is super legit.  We were biking up to an area called “the base” and I saw him about 100 feet ahead of me.  The only bad thing about elder Aguilar is that he bikes so so so so so so so so so so so slow!!!!!!!  This is like his second time ever riding a bike and the first was when he was a kid.  Since Elder Aguilar was way behind me, I just got into biking mode and zoomed up to Tony.  We started talking and it was super legit.  He accepted a tour of the chapel.  Later the next day we gave him the tour.  It was absolutely incredible.  I asked him why he accepted the invitation.  He said, I just am looking for my purpose in life.”  It was incredible.  We taught the plan of salvation real quick after the tour and he accepted a date to be baptized on the fifth of May!!!.  Hopefully we will have Tony and the Garcia family that day.  It will be 3 baptisms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The Lord is so merciful.  I loved this week.  Honestly, I can't get over how amazing Tony Rubio is.  He is like Ceasar Castro who showed up to church the first day here and said he wanted to be baptized!  It is amazing.  The Lord is just preparing people to come unto Him. 

Thanks for all you’ve done for me lately.  You know I just love you mom.  You are so cool.  We shall hang out after the mission.  

Well I just want to leave you all with a few thoughts of the Savior that have been on my mind lately.  I love Him.  He is amazing.  I wish everyone could just come unto Him.  I have been paying a ton of attention to D&C section 121 verse 34 to 46.  There it talks about how “many are called but few are chosen.”   If we trust in Him, then what ever we are handed will be for our good and our benefit.  I love the Savior.   I just wish that people could see that it is all about becoming like Christ as we reflect on the attributes that we must gain.  When we do, the whole scope of the gospel opens up.  I love you all.  Focus on the Savior.  I hope you can feel my love for you all.  You are all such great examples to me.  

Love, Elder Almquist

Mom and Dad, I sure love you both.

No comments:

Post a Comment