Monday, March 19, 2012

Elder Almquist Letter #31

This is such a great work.  Honestly this is such a great work.  This week was super stressful--it was great but super stressful.  We worked super hard.  I think Elder Taylor is really tired.

The Lord was with us.  It was a good week numbers wise.  We had 21 lessons--the first companionship in over a year to hit it here.  Sadly a huge family didn't show up to church, but the Lord is doing his best.  I just have to kick it in gear.  The other day I was praying, and in my prayer I asked, “Why do you allow us to do this work.  Honestly, should it not be people who are more qualified and better then we are?”  His answer was super rebuking.  Basically he said “You dumb head. You are called, and if I call you that means you can do it.  Now go and work, and I will provide the rest.”  The Lord was truly with us this week.  


Let’s get down to what really matters and that is how well my investigators are doing.  This new family named the Silvas came to church for the third time, and they really loved it.  We taught the father who isn't a member, and he accepted an invite to be baptized and it was just incredible.  It was Elder Taylor who did it.  He had no idea what was going on, and I just looked at him and I said, “Invite him to be baptized,” and he was like now and I was like “yes now.”  He looked down and then at Brother Silva, and he invited him.  It was so spiritual.  I loved every moment of it.  Even the kids got quiet for the first time.  Then also this week the Candela family—Sister Candela went in to have emergency surgery, and it was great to be with her because she received her first blessing in a super long time.  It felt so blessed to help her.  I went on exchanges with another elder, and just as we were passing a less active members house we felt impressed to stop by, and we knocked and they let us in.  The wife comes out.  We had seen her eyes were a little puffy like she had been crying.  Come to find out, her sister had died the day before.  We were able to teach the plan of salvation and how families can be together through the temple.  They showed up to church on Sunday and are now taking the temple prep classes.  The great thing was this.  In the lesson, she asked us what happens to people who take their own life.  I honestly couldn't answer and then Elder Brandtly couldn't answer, so we looked at another and then we looked at her.  I said to him in English this thought that popped in.  It was that when someone takes their own life they aren't in the right frame of mind, and the Lord will judge them on grounds of their mental state, and I told them I don't believe a just God would condemn her because she wasn't in the right mind.  He looked at me and said that is exactly what came to my mind.  It was amazing as I related it to her.  The Spirit filled the room, and we were able to feel the love the Lord has for all of us.  I know the Lord loves each and everyone of us and that the family is an eternal unit of God.  I am so grateful for the family I have.  I love you all so much. 

On to our next week.

This week was crazy!! Another 20 lesson week.  It was awesome.  Our district is going crazy.   I have to tell you a really funny story.  It was amazing...  We have an English missionary couple serving in our branch, and they had us over dinner yesterday.  They are the Roylance family.   Get this-- she comes to us in church and said Elders I hope this is all right, but we are having roasted chicken and mashed potatoes and corn and stuffing and then instantly Elder Taylor and I started jumping for joy because we were having normal food.  It was amazing.  We lost track of time at their house because it was just so funny.   It was just like home honestly mom and dad it felt like you two were there because she was trying to be all proper and then he was just cracking jokes.  It was just like our family dinners, and it was normal food.  I can’t remember the last time I had mashed potatoes and just stuffing.  Honestly it was amazing.  It was just a needed tender mercy.

We had such a solid week.  Elder Taylor is so funny.  All he says is how tired he is.  Sometimes it is so funny.  I love it.  That means he is working hard.   We were teaching these investigators named Giovanni and Pricilla. They are amazing.   I shared the first vision and then Elder Taylor jumps in and says I know this is true.  That has never happened, and it was amazing.  He never ever said “I know”, and then he goes on to share how the Spirit touches our hearts and then he bore strong testimony of the Book of Mormon and all because we were doing what we were supposed to be doing.  He has a TESTIMONY.   We invited Giovanni to be baptized and he was, of course.  It was amazing.  We had just so many miracles.  We got a hold of the Garcia family this week and one of the Tandela/ Tapia boys said he knows the Book of Mormon is true.

I am so grateful to be a missionary.  I pray that I can keep this fire my whole life.  Honestly I wish that some people would get it.  I was with a missionary in my district this week, and I have just about had it with this missionary.  I was on exchanges with him.  I told him this Church gives you every covenant, every ordinance and every possibility that we can have in this mortal world.   On a mission, you get food, a car, a house and all the spiritual things you need.  So why don’t you get it?  It was amazing because after that he was just like silent for the rest of the night and I was thinking, “oh great, look what you did now.  You offend this poor little missionary (who has been out for 18 months) and now what is he thinking?”  Then he looked at me about four hours later and said, “You know you’re right.  I need to stop wasting what the Lord has given me.”   It was just amazing because I feel like he gets it now.  Sometimes I just want to have the Spirit touch everyone’s heart and tell them it is true.  But hey, isn't agency a beautiful thing.

Mom and dad, I just want you to know that "I know" with out a doubt that this is true.  I know this is the true gospel of Christ. 

I love you so much!
Love your son,

Elder S. Paul Almquist



No comments:

Post a Comment